Does anyone think the B96 Street Mixes will make a return?

General discussion related to Chicagoland radio, DJ's, mixmasters, or anything else around Chicago FM/AM radio. You must be registered.
classicb96
Site Admin

Does anyone think the B96 Street Mixes will make a return?

Post by classicb96 »

Ongoing thread. I'm still in disbelief the b96 network stopped these mix shows, although one can't be so surprised given the current state of radio and increased likelihood of streaming services ruling.
Long live Chicago radio. For DJ Equipment, CD's, Tapes, and more, visit: [External Link Removed for Guests].
WonderingMeow

Re: Does anyone think the B96 Street Mixes will make a return?

Post by WonderingMeow »

Flipside told me it was just a "hiatus"
I wanna believe him but all mention of it on B96 site and social media is gone so...
B96 Street Mix: the true soundtrack to our lives
classicb96
Site Admin

Post by classicb96 »

WonderingMeow wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:33 am Flipside told me it was just a "hiatus"
I wanna believe him but all mention of it on B96 site and social media is gone so...
Interesting...hard to believe that though.
Long live Chicago radio. For DJ Equipment, CD's, Tapes, and more, visit: [External Link Removed for Guests].
WonderingMeow

Post by WonderingMeow »

Its a really weird time right now and thats all the info I got. I kinda slipped a "RIP B96 Street Mix" comment into one of Flipside's Twitch streams a bit ago and his response was "we're on hiatus but we'll be back". I'm starting to believe it now after hearing Meg's New Years mini mix thing

Speaking of that mini mix, here:
BrianThaB

Post by BrianThaB »

It still amazes me that there is no major mixshows in this city anymore. Kiss FM is too commercial Top 40 remixes to be considered IMO and I don't think they air mixes on Friday nights. The usual suspects 106.3, and V 103 still have mix shows but they rarely promote them and are ok if you just want to listen to some House music. They won't go as deep as BMX or B 96 did.

During the pandemic, Julian Jumpin' Perez and Tim Spinnin Schommer have kept their mixes alive doing Facebook Live on the weekends. Julian has sometimes brought back old B 96 DJs like Bad Boy Bill on FB from time to time. Also to a lesser extent Frankie "Hollywood" Rodriguez did FB live for a while too during the pandemic.

There is great dance, house, and freestyle songs still being made. You just have to look for it. I usually check the US Dance airplay, charts, and even Z1035, a station in Toronto that plays everything in Top 40 including a big portion of flashbacks. They have great mix shows during the week too, however they strangely got rid of their weekend mixes. They sound very much like B96 if they kept their Rhythmic format today.

Tim still promotes new Freestlye on his FB show and Ghetto House Radio is a great source for new house music with downloadable links to their show every week [External Link Removed for Guests].

B 96 at the least could air this show and stay true to part of their heritage since 1989. They just choose not to try to anymore. Clearly not a priority.

Did no radio station notice that every TV news station did a segment on Julian's NYE party he promoted?? 104-3 Jams has Erik Bradley as PD and Entercom can't see the cash cow they would have if they showcased old B 96 dance music and mixes??? Instead Julian has his role reduced to just his mix on weekends. It just makes too much since for them to have a retro dance mix show.

Sadly nobody is allowed to take risks in radio anymore. Instead, play it safe and play the same 5 songs in rotation until the CD disintegrates.

The Beat Chicago and Sal Amato deserved props for keeping the retro dance music and mixes alive. They recently however are not doing this anymore. Not even weekends on their stream. They have been pretty quiet as to why even when someone asks. Saying that, you can still listen to the mixes they aired the last couple of years on demand. [External Link Removed for Guests]

The only place right now staying true to the Street Mix and how B96 used to sound is Classic House Radio. They stream music and mixes throughout the day 7 days a week at [External Link Removed for Guests]

Hopefully one day a exec in corporate will have the guts to give a mix show a try in the city that help create the concept. Until then it will be much more challenging to get your dance mixshow fix. I know I will keep trying.
DJ Wild West

Post by DJ Wild West »

Hello, yes there is a station that play's mixes. I am apart of the station. We can be found at the follow link. [External Link Removed for Guests]
I hope you enjoy all the mixes.
DJ Wild West

Post by DJ Wild West »

You can hear mixes on Chicago Street Flava Radio. I am one of the DJ's I hope this helps you. You can just Google it. Spell it just like I did. They won't let me post the link. I hope this helps you out.
BrianThaB

Post by BrianThaB »

Did not know about this. Awesome! Thanks.
WonderingMeow

Post by WonderingMeow »

"Manager of Advertising & Promotion: West (DJ Wild West)"
I see what you did here haha. Good shit tho!
classicb96
Site Admin

Post by classicb96 »

Since B96 has re-branded, there is talk of bringing back the B96 street mix. No official update...yet.